Since we took the difficult decision to suspend netball activity on 16th March, our competitions and events team have been working hard to support leagues and clubs with what happens with competitions. We would now like to update you on the decisions that have been made on the Premier League and National Club competitions.
During these difficult time, many netball leagues, including our own have been put into situations where tough decision have to be made. We also value the volunteers and clubs who work hard to make these competitions happen, so these decisions have been made with consideration to the consultation that we have held with Premier League Clubs and Regional Competition TSG Chairs and Regional Chairs.
Premier League Netball (Including Playoffs)
The below is the position for Premier League Netball:
- If it is safe and appropriate for netball activity to resume by 29th June, there will be at least a 3 week period to prepare for the remaining Premier League matches. Final standings will then determine promotion / relegation and for Premier League 3, who will play in the Premier League Playoffs.
- If netball cannot be resumed by 29th June, all remaining fixtures will cancelled and the final league positions will be determined by awarding teams their average league points for any un-played matches as this provides the fairest way to conclude the season in the absence of being able to resume matches. Promotion / relegation will be determined by this method as well as determining who will play in the Premier League Playoffs.
- If netball can be resumed before 19th July, the Premier League Playoffs will be held on 8th/9th August to allow a minimum of 3 weeks to prepare for the Playoffs.
- If netball cannot be resumed before 19th July, the Premier League Playoffs will be cancelled and therefore there will be no promotion / relegation between Premier League 3 and Regional League for the 2019/20 season.
- This timeline concludes all Premier League Netball by 9th August and therefore allows 6 weeks of preparation for all teams ahead of the 2021 season.
- Should it not be safe for netball activity to resume by 31st August, a further decision on the Premier League 2020/21 season start time will be reviewed.
National Clubs Finals
The current National Club Final dates for U16 and U14’s are postponed and will be rescheduled for the following dates:
- Under 16’s National Clubs Finals- Redbridge Leisure Centre- 22nd & 23rd August 2020
- Under 14’s National Club Finals—Sport Central Newcastle- 29th & 30th August 2020
This reschedule is based on netball activity being safe and appropriate to be resumed on or before Friday 24th July 2020 with the key summary being:
- Teams will have at least 2 weeks to train prior to any regional fixtures.
- Regions will have at least 1 week to host a tournament or play remaining league fixtures of a Regional competition.
- For Regions that need longer to complete fixtures, we would recommend using the guidance we have previously shared to conclude your leagues and nominate your 2 teams per age group to England Netball.
- Should netball be safe and appropriate to resume earlier than 24th July 2020, teams and regions will have more time to train and complete remaining fixtures. The deadline of 24th July is just the latest timescale for Regions and England Netball to conclude competitions by playing final games/tournaments.
- Should it not be safe for netball activity to resume by Friday 24th July, the National Club Finals will unfortunately have to be cancelled for 2019/20.