The International Netball Federation (INF) released a set of amendments to the Rules of Netball which came into effect from 1 January 2018. These should be used for all netball in England and also in conjunction with the England Netball Domestic Guidance.
The main purpose of these amendments are to make some definitions clearer which in turn allows the rules to become more accessible by the game’s many participants throughout the World.
Here are the highlights of the amendments made in this update:
- New definitions of breaking, pivot and set (for a free pass and penalty pass)
- The sanction if a free pass or penalty pass is taken in an incorrect position
- When a player who is in the correct position may take the penalty pass
- Umpires hold time to give a caution and new caution signal added
- Change ‘official warning’ to ‘warning’ throughout rules book
- Suspension period is 2 minutes playing time
- State when a player may move into the court surround
- Minor tidy up to remove duplication and provide clarity
The 2018 edition of the Rules Book can be obtained from your local County Umpiring Secretary at a reduced rate of £6.00 each. For more details please contact your County Umpiring Secretary. It can also be downloaded here, however nothing beats having the real thing in your pocket!