Thank you for enquiring about our new virtual Into Officiating Course. Demand for these courses has been phenomenal and we are looking forward to seeing lots more umpires out on a netball court soon. It is so exciting to see how many members of the netball family are keen to start their officiating journey and as a result we are already in the process of continuing the roll out of courses. More courses are being released in July with members being informed directly.
The Into Officiating Course is the first step on the officiating pathway. It will help you to understand the basic rules of the game, as well as cover some of the basic positioning and movement required to enable you to ‘whistle well’ whilst being an umpire. The course is designed for people new to umpiring and new to the rules of the game. The virtual sessions form the first part of the Into Officiating Award with a successful 15 minute practical assessment (organised by your member county) required to gain the full qualification.
Click here to find out more about the England Netball Officiating Pathway.
Who is this course for?
The course is perfect for anyone that would like to start officiating at grassroots level or in a school environment.
What will I need to do?
- Be a full member of England Netball
- Attend both virtual sessions of the designated course (Please note that we do not allow learners to move from course to course)
- Have access to a computer (with the internet enabled) and a camera and microphone so we can see and interact with you
- Be prepared to go out and practice your umpiring prior to your practical assessment
By successfully completing the Into Officiating Course, you will:
- Improve your understanding of the rules of netball
- Gain the basic knowledge and skills to undertake umpiring at netball matches
- Be able to keep an accurate scorecard
- Understand the requirements to progress along the officiating pathway
- Able to progress onto the Into Officiating Award Practical Assessment
Prior to booking your virtual Into Officiating Award sessions you should contact your membership County Officiating Lead as they will be able to give you a whole host of information about the course and the pathway and could support you with practical opportunities after your virtual sessions.
To book your place enter your postcode in the box provided (on the right) and click search. This will take you to the relevant section of our website where you can click on the Course menu and select the Into Officiating Award course you wish to attend. Make sure you have your EN ID and a credit or debit card.
The Into Officiating Resource Hub provides you with a number of resources that will support you after the formal course has finished. Your county will also be in touch with you post course to talk you through any local support that may be on offer. This may include a bonus additional practical session to support your development as an umpire. These sessions are not a compulsory part of the pathway and are a membership benefit of the county you are attached to. Please visit your County website to find the details of your Officiating Lead.
Practical Assessment Process
For more information on the practical assessment process for the Into Officiating Award please contact your County Officiating Lead.