As coaches we invest so much of our time in supporting our participants, yet it is so important that we also take time to look after our own mental health as well. We need to make sure we recharge our batteries and invest time in ourselves both physically and mentally, in order for us to be healthy and happy!
Take a look below at 10 simple steps to help look after your mental health and wellbeing.
- Sleep is key! Try to wind down before bedtime each night and avoid using mobile phones or watching TV just before going to bed, it can be tempting to check your devices but sleep will be improved with valuable time away from your phone
- Try to maintain a regular sleeping pattern. This will help regulate your body clock, improving your sleep and increasing your energy levels
- Be active. If you are feeling stressed, incorporating regular exercise into your life can help relieve some of the tension. Try and find ways to add physical activity into your daily life that works for you!
- Many of us can feel sad, down or unmotivated at times. When you achieve something, take time to reward yourself!
- Make sure to include time in your lifestyle to do something that you enjoy, whether this be reading a book, catching up with friends and family or taking a walk. Make sure to factor in some YOU time.
- Connect with people. If you find yourself feeling anxious or worried, connect with supportive friends, family, or colleagues, or speak to a volunteer on a helpline to help you feel more relaxed and supported.
- Take notice of the world around you and your feelings. Appreciate what matters, be curious about things and enjoy the moment.
- Keep learning – try something new, learn about something, set a challenge and enjoy achieving it
- Be a part of a community and value the connections to people around you
- Search Every Mind Matters to create a free online plan designed to help you deal with stress and anxiety, boost your mood, improve your sleep and feel more in control. The website and online tool is full of practical tips and expert advice to help you look after your mental health.
Find out more – https://www.englandnetball.co.uk/everymindmatters/
England Netball Wellbeing – englandnetball.co.uk/governance/safeguarding/wellbeing/