England Netball members/groups are indemnified whilst playing, training, attending courses or carrying out activities that are both recognised and authorised by England Netball.
Recognised activity includes the following versions of the game in a competitive setting:
- 7-a-side Netball – full seven aside version of the game in accordance with England Netball and/or World Netball rules
- Fast5 / FastNet – five/seven aside version of the game in accordance with England Netball and World Netball rules and regulations
- Indoor Netball (or Nets) – version of the game in accordance with England Netball and/or World Indoor Netball Association (WINA) rules and regulations
- Walking Netball – version of the game in accordance with England Netball adapted Walking Netball rules
- Bee Netball – version of the game (recommended for U11) in accordance with England Netball adapted Bee Netball rules
- ParaNetball – versions of the game that are endorsed by England Netball in recognition of the participants’ disability
Recognised activity also includes Mixed Netball (all versions listed above) in the following contexts:
- At a recreational level – defined as the casual participation in training, a non-competitive or competitive game at a local or county level, where the result does not have a consequence on a league, tournament or series of games at a regional level or above.
- At a performance level – training and competition delivered specifically by England Netball, England Netball Men’s and Mixed Netball Association (EMMNA) and registered VNSL Clubs only. In this context mixed netball can be in the form of mixed gender teams or competition between single gender teams of opposing gender.
Recognised activity also includes England Netball branded participation programmes delivered by approved persons/groups, including:
- Back to Netball
- Bee Netball
- Netball Now
- Walking Netball
Authorised activity is recognised versions of the game (above) that have been authorised to go ahead by England Netball.
This is either:
- Official England Netball activity, organised and/or facilitated by appropriately qualified, England Netball appointed person(s)
- Recognised versions of the game, organised and facilitated by appropriately qualified person(s) at a registered County Netball Association or Regional Management Board in accordance with England Netball and World Netball rules and regulations
- Recognised versions of the game, organised and facilitated by appropriately qualified person(s) at a registered Netball Club, or a Registered League in accordance with England Netball and World Netball rules and regulations
- Recognised versions of the game, organised and facilitated by appropriately qualified person(s) appointed by England Men’s and Mixed Netball Association (EMMNA)
- England Netball programmes (such as Back to Netball, Bee Netball, Netball Now and Walking Netball) delivered by approved persons/groups* *Organisations/persons that wish to deliver Recognised England Netball programmes require England Netball approval.
Requirements for Delivery of Recognised and Authorised Activity
Delivery of Recognised and Authorised Activity must comply with the following minimum operating standards:
|Requirement||Club Training (e.g. training, match play)||Informal Competition (e.g. friendly matches, tournament)||Formal Competition
|EN participation programme|
|EN Personal Membership||Golden Committee Roles of delivery organisation||X||X||X|
|Coach / Official / Deliverer||X||X||X||X*|
|Qualifications||Appropriately qualified coach||X||X|
|2 appropriately qualified officials per match||X||X|
|Appropriately Qualified First Aider||X||X||X||X|
|Appropriately Qualified Safeguarding||X||X||X||X|
|Health & Safety||Risk Assessment||X||X||X||X|
|Policies & Procedures||Agree to operate in line with relevant England Netball Policies & Procedures, including:||X||X||X||X|
* unless approved persons/groups have separate liability insurance in place
** unless delivery is by a registered Netball Club and the individual player (non-member) is sampling the club for the first time, for a period of up to one calendar month. In this circumstance the non-member will not be covered by England Netball’s programme of insurance, but the registered netball club will be covered for the actions of non-members providing signed and dated attendance records of all such individuals are kept by the registered club to evidence non-member activity.
Further information and FAQs relating to these requirements can be found here.
Please note, England Netball does not always have jurisdiction over those providing recognised and authorised versions of the game to ensure that they are being delivered in a safe environment with adequate supervision. Individuals should not participate in any activity that they perceive to be unsafe.
Clubs and Registered Leagues can refer to the England Netball website for information relating to risk management, assessing playing environments, events guidance and safeguarding for away trips. In the case of mixed netball, individuals are encouraged to take into account the physical differences between men and women when assessing a safe environment.
The liability insurance is only provided for England Netball accredited tutors who are delivering England Netball approved courses/workshops.